Sunday, April 4, 2010

How bad is it really in August?

We are a family of six. My husband and I, are the grandparents visiting the kids who live in Kansas.





My son is adamant on visiting Mt. Rushmore. The family cannot go on any other time (except winter when a warmer climate is preferred). We know there is a bike rally on the same dates we chose, in South Dakota . Its already hard to find hotels at all, and more so reasonable priced hotels.





How bad is it really road-wise? I mean are the roads clogged during the rally? Should I insist on going elsewhere? Your advice in general would be greatly appreciated.



How bad is it really in August?


We drove through Rapid City and Sturgis the week before the rally and they were getting full of motorcycles all ready.





Whether or not the roads are packed, I don%26#39;t know. If the hotels are full, it seems like everything will be very busy. That%26#39;s why we bumped our vacation back a week when we saw the rally date. Prices on hotels were higher as well.



How bad is it really in August?


Right, thanks. I agree and we are changing plans. As we cannot change dates we will try in a less busy area - the US is big enough LOL.




May I suggest southern Wyoming and parts of Colorado. Not really any farther than Black Hills. A nice loop can be made via I-70 to Denver and up through Rocky Mt. National Park then up into southern Wyoming. Then over Snowy Range Scenic Byway to Laramie and Cheyenne then back down to Denver and I-70 back to Kansas.





If you (or your son) have not seen the Rockies it might compensate for Rushmore. The Snowy Range road has some spectacular granite cliff faces (even though no President faces). Pic Link:



tripadvisor.com/…16989608




Hi Sequim88,



Thsnks for your input, do you know by any chance if any part of the route you suggested is over 7500-8000 ft? That might be a bit dangerous for my husband. I passed on your suggestions to my kids, lets see what they have to say. I was thinking of staying part of the time in Colorado Springs, or somewhere nice where we can both rest and the kids can have fun, any ideas? Thank you so much for your time.






I think that there are many areas that have stretches that are over 7500 ft elevation. I copied this excerpt directly from the Rock Mountain National Park website. ';Trail Ridge Road crests at 12,183.'; Trail Ridge Road is the main park road that goes from the east to the west side of the park. It isn%26#39;t hard to go over 7500 ft. in that part of the US. Denver%26#39;s official elevation it 5280, the mile high city.




I almost put a disclaimer about elevation but did not want to presuppose age related issues. Yes, unfortunatley Rocky Mt. NP and the Snowy Range road are both 11,000 feet and higher. I know I feel the difference and I am in fairly good shape. Even Laramie, WY I believe is about 6,000 feet. Sorry if these don%26#39;t work. I know my father at age 82 next week is in the same boat due to past heart issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment