Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mt Rushmore / Crazy Horse

Is it feasible to plan both Mt Rushmore %26amp;amp; Crazy Horse in the same day? I was planning to do Mt Rushmore in the morning, packing a picnic for lunch and then driving to Crazy Horse only to return to Mt Rushmore for the evening lighting. Is this doable?



Mt Rushmore / Crazy Horse


It%26#39;s very do-able. I wish I could tell you exactly how far apart they are, but I%26#39;m not sure. Not much of a drive from one to the other though.





Enjoy your trip.



Mt Rushmore / Crazy Horse


Very much so. Sounds like a very doable plan. You can probably do the Presidents%26#39; Trail, the artists studio and the museum at Mt. Rushmore in a few hours. An afternoon is plenty of time for Crazy Horse, even if you luck out and go on one of the days there is a special presentation. We went when there were Native American dance demonstrations, and it was a very enjoyable afternoon. Crazy Horse really shouldn%26#39;t take much time. You could even drive the Iron Mountain Road (16A) on the Peter Norbeck Scenic byway on your way back. It is a not to miss drive.





http://byways.org/explore/byways/2459/





byways.org/explore/byways/2459/stories/47522





http://peternorbeck.americasbyways.net/




Via 244 %26amp; 385 it%26#39;s 19.7 miles to Custer. Crazy Horse is about 3 miles short of that so figure 16.7 miles. But summer traffic can mean slow going even for the short distance. Worst case 45 mins to an hour.





Nice to do both in one day as it gives a chance to compare the scales of the projects.




I will echo everyone else; your plan is an excellent one and easily done in a day. As Sequim said, it%26#39;s very interesting to compare the two projects. I have always found the history behind Crazy Horse even more interesting than Mt Rushmore, but you will certainly enjoy both monuments. Have a great trip.




Thank you all so much. I am just starting my itinerary, so I am sure I will have many more questions.




I%26#39;ve read some posts before about Crazy Horse not being worth entering but I strongly disagree. To me, and of course it%26#39;s a personal belief, you cannot fully understand or enjoy Crazy Horse from the road. There is so much more there! You can spend hours in the museum and not see everything. Before I moved home to SD, every time I would come back, the first stop I made once back in the state was to Crazy Horse.




I agree with everyone, we just returned from the Black Hills a couple of days ago. Both places can be easily seen in a day, in fact you will probably have extra time to use waiting for the evening show at Mt. Rushmore, so have alternate plans ready just in case. You could visit Hill City or Keystone, or take the Needles Highway drive. Crazy Horse is great, better than travel guides describe, so be sure to plan on lots of time there.




Very doable. Crazy horse is worth the stop. We probably won%26#39;t do it again though as it would be my 4th time and my husbands 3rd. We may go back once more when the kids are older as our youngest was only 1 when we went. It is kind of dissapointing each time we went back as it seemed as no progress was made.





But I would suggest it if it is your first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment