Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Motels Walkable to Main Street

Which (if any) motels/hotels in Keystone are within an easy walk (or in the middle of) the main street shop area?





Thanks!



Motels Walkable to Main Street


When we were there last August/September, from what I could tell most are right along the main drag and easy walking distance to all the activity. There are a couple that are up at the top of the hill, around the bend from the main drag. These are still walkable to the activity, but most are right along the main street.



I%26#39;m sure a local can give you the names of the motels that are clustered around the activity.



We stayed at the Mt Rushmore White House Inn that is situated on the corner of the main drag. Nice enough hotel, clean with irons, hairdryers, mini fridges and microwaves in the room. That being said, the parking is horrible. The spaces are perfect for motorcycles, but very, very tight for automobiles.



Do not eat at the Railhouse (connected to the motel). The service was the worst we have ever experienced and the food was all microwaved from hell cuisine.



Motels Walkable to Main Street


MemphisBelle brings up an excellent point. Many of the hotels in Keystone, especially those in the ';hub-bub'; of the shops, can have limited parking. We did not stay in one of the more congested hotels, as we prefer quieter locations. Keystone is very small, and although I don%26#39;t remember all the properties in the heart of things, I do recall the Super 8, Travelodge, White House (As Memphis mentioned), and a few others in pretty congested areas. The hotel I recommended to you, Roosevelt Inn, is at the end of the shopping activity, next to the Alpine Slide and across the street from the wax museum. For Keystone, the hotel has very good parking..a large lot around back, plus a few spaces in front. I know K Bar S was recommended to you as well. I%26#39;m not sure, but I don%26#39;t think you can walk to downtown from there. It%26#39;s one of the draws of the property; it%26#39;s much quieter.





Personally, if it were me, I%26#39;d look for a property away from the hustle/bustle of the boardwalk area for exactly the reason Memphis mentioned: parking. There are some public parking areas where you can leave your car and walk around.




I stayed at the Mt. Rushmore President%26#39;s View hotel and it was close to the shops, but on a hill and had plenty of parking (at the time anyway). The only thing I didn%26#39;t like was the driveway down to the main street...kinda steep. Driving on it was fine, but after being gone all day sightseeing and then walking down to all the shops at night , it was very tiring to walk back up but I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s fine for most people. THere was a great view from up on the hill, too.





Here is a link to the hotel%26#39;s website. There is also a virtual tour and you can see the driveway and the great view and you%26#39;ll see how close it is to the shops.





http://www.presidentsviewresort.com/





It%26#39;s been quite awhile since I was there so not sure if it%26#39;s still there but there was this little place in town where you could buy a bag of little doughnuts that they made for you while you waited. They were delicious and I remember I had to walk down and get them both nights I stayed there. :o)


  • highlight
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment